This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Poker night or a guys night out at the bar drinking and smoking ... those are usually the only two options that I hear but I have an alternative idea that was suggested to us to combine some hot Warner Brothers Movies that are currently available at Walmart on a special promo pallet for only $5 DVD ($7.88 BRD), along with M&M's® and Orville Redenbacher's popcorn. Let's do a Guys "Movie Night Out" and part of the fun is creating the snacks to accompany the movie we selected - The Dark Night.
The pallet is available at 1500 Walmart stores nationwide so make sure you check this list to ensure that you go to a store that has it available before you leave the house. It should be available in either the Electronics section or right up front of the store as you walk in until 11/24/2014. However even if the pallet is gone - you can still pull together a great movie night on your own - it might just require you to go on a little tour of the store ... but hey all that walking can help you burn off some of the calories you are about to put back on!
Initially, I wasn't sure which of the movies I should select since there were so many awesome ones available from Warner Brothers including 300, Gran Torino, Braveheart, Goodfellas, Hangover and The Blind Side. Frankly, any of these movies could make for a great movie night, but what really spoke to me when creating a theme night was the iconic characters that came together as part of The Dark Knight and how I could manifest them by combining M&M's® and Orville Redenbacher's popcorn.
First, let's get the simple snacks out to the way ...
Popcorn is good - but have you ever thought about throwing some peanut butter M&M's® in there while the popcorn is still warm? No? Try it - true to the "Melt in your mouth, not your hand" quote, the chocolate inside the candy shell will melt and become soft but the candy shell will keep it together so it doesn't get messy and the two flavors work really well together!
Second, marshmallows are great snacks at the movies, so we grabbed some of those too.
That's when inspiration really hit ... we could combine all those things into one amazing SUPER HERO of a movie snack! Popcorn Bars with a Dark Knight theme!
The recipe is ridiculously simple (which is good since my cooking skills are more honed for grilling and smoking instead of creating deserts and snacks.
M&M's® Popcorn Marshmallow Bar Ingredients:
1 Bag of Orville Redenbacher's Salty and Sweet microwave popcorn
1 Box of Peanut Butter M&M's®
1 Box of Peanut M&M's®
4 Tablespoons of Butter
10 oz of mini marshmallows
M&M's® Popcorn Marshmallow Bar Directions:
1. Slowly heat the marshmallows and butter in a large saucepan till it begins to melt and make sure to watch it carefully, stirring so that the marshmallows don't burn.
2. While the marshmallows are melting, pour the popcorn into a pan that has been greased with butter so that the bars don't stick and mix with the box of Peanutnut M&M's®.
3. Once the marshmallows are fully melted with no chunks, it's time to pour that over the popcorn and fold it together so that the marshmallow gets into every piece. You'll start to notice that the marshmallow gets stringy as it cools, don't worry about that but make sure that you have everything combined together well.
4. You can never have too many M&M's®, so the next step is to sprinkle even more Peanut Butter M&M's® over the top.
5. Finally, use a large spatula to press down on the mixture so that everything is fused together well.
6. Wait about 10-15 minutes or place the pan in the fridge to cool down.
7. Once it is cool, take it out and cut the bars out and place it on a piece of parchment or serving plate.
Oh No, we aren't done Yet!
This is a movie themed snack, so here's how to make it perfect and wow your friends ...
Batman "The Dark Knight" Popcorn Bars:
Take the bars above and cover in melted dark chocolate! He is the Dark Knight afterall, so this way you can have a bar that is perfectly themed for both of his personalities - Bruce Wayne being a little nutty on the inside but covered in a hard shell of Batman on the outside.
Joker Popcorn Bars:
Take the bars above and use a red icing pen to draw a strategically placed (smeared?) smile lengthwise on the bars to mimic that iconic Heathe Ledger smile from the movie.
Two Face Popcorn Bars:
Dip the bars only halfway into the chocolate and line the edge with the red icing pen.
Like most party planning ideas, it is almost as much fun to plan things out as it is to actually attend the party, so I highly encourage you guys to check out the pallet at your local Walmart and put together your own movie party theme too.
If you are looking for more movie night inspiration from other bloggers, we would encourage you to also follow along with other ideas by using the hashtag #MovieNight4Less and following the sponsors on social media:
This #shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.