The south east coast is littered with great golf resorts, but last year when I was attending a wedding on Isle of Palms I came across Wild Dunes and it stuck out as something special. It didn't feel like every other golf resort and now that I found out they have some great mancation packages I am even more excited!
Plus when you combine golf with the historic southern charm and luxury of Charleston itself you simply can't go wrong.
Elizabeth Kelly, Marketing Communications Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, was nice enough to answer some of our questions and talk about some of the great mancation and guys weekend activities at this great South Carolina golf resort.
1. What makes Wild Dunes different from other golf resorts on the South Carolina shore?
We’re Charleston’s Island Resort, which means our guests get a vacation experience that exudes the charm and grace Charleston is known for, but in more relaxed coastal surroundings. We offer two award-winning Tom Fazio designed courses that are challenging for players at every skill level. The most unique thing about a golf experience at Wild Dunes is that although the two courses are a part of the same Resort, each offers a completely different playing experience. Water comes into play on almost every hole during a round on the Harbor Course, which features holes skirted along the Intracoastal Waterway. The Links Course features wider, rolling fairways with finishing holes along the Atlantic Ocean. We also offer a variety of accommodation options at Wild Dunes including the new Village at Wild Dunes, the AAA Four Diamond Boardwalk Inn and our homes and villas.
2. What makes Charleston, SC a great place for a mancation?With great dining, shopping, cultural activities and festivals, Charleston’s long been considered a great girlfriend destination. But guys have just as much fun in Charleston. Wild Dunes Resort and Charleston offer a variety of activities for men of all ages - they can enjoy golf, tennis, in-shore and off-shore fishing excursions, kayaking, surfing, great dining and the vibrant nightlife of downtown Charleston. At Wild Dunes, our award-winning Island Adventures program offers everything from water sports to cardio tennis sessions. Charleston’s warm climate is also a big draw - even in the spring and fall when average temperatures in the winter months are in the 60s.
3. Do you have a shuttle to downtown Charleston or other nightspot locations?
While Wild Dunes does not offer complimentary off-Resort transportation, we work with preferred, local shuttle and taxi-cab services and our staff is always happy to help guests arrange transportation needs. The Resort is also home to the Sea Island Grill and Lounge which features an upscale atmosphere with cigars, single barrel bourbon and single malt scotch. The Lettered Olive Restaurant and Lounge — also on-site — features an enhanced bar menu. Our guests are known to venture to the front beach of Isle of Palms to enjoy a lively nightlife at a variety of oceanfront bars, which are just minutes away from the Resort.
4. Does Wild Dunes offer any specific mancation packages?Wild Dunes offers a variety of mancation golf packages, all of which can be customized. Prices on the packages below are valid September 1 – December 31, 2008 and packages costs vary based on seasonality:
Dudes on the DunesClubs. Cards. Coronas. We took everything guys love and combined them into a weekend package that's sure to inspire an annual tradition. Cost as low as $650 per night, based on four people for two nights. Package includes: - Accommodations - One round of golf on the Links Course and Harbor Course per person - Poker set up in your guest room or villa including chips, table and cards - Snacks and beer delivered to your guest room or villa
Fazio Football SpectacularGuys, what’s your perfect fall weekend? If it means hanging out with your buddies, great golf and watching the big game - with plenty of wings - we’ve got you covered. Cost as low as $765 per night, based on four people for two nights. Package includes: - Accommodations - One round of golf on the Links Course and Harbor Course per person - Dinner Delivered while you watch your favorite team
Surf-n-Turf SpecialIf your idea of heaven is getting in 18 holes in the morning and an afternoon of fishing on Lowcountry marshes, you’ll love our Surf-n-Turf Special. Cost as low as $1,040 per night, based on four people for two nights. Package includes: - Accommodations - A round of golf on the Links Course per person - A barrier island fishing excursion per person - One-hour golf clinic per person - One breakfast each morning at The Lettered Olive per person
5. What are some of the different lodging options at Wild Dunes resort?
Guests who are looking to be in the center of the Resort’s activity may choose to stay in the new Village at Wild Dunes, which is located in the heart of the Resort and features identically decorated rooms and suites. The Village suites sit above a bustling plaza, which is home to The Lettered Olive, Hudson’s Market, the Fitness Center and Sand & Sea Salon and Spa. The AAA Four-Diamond Boardwalk Inn is a more sophisticated option and both The Village and the Boardwalk Inn offer room service, valet parking and a 24 hour concierge, and are located directly across the street from the Harbor Course, the Tennis Center and the Bike Shop. For the guys who want to kick back and relax, we offer a variety of homes and villas that range from one to six bedrooms. Some are oceanfront.