This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Lennox®. All opinions are 100% mine.
Everyone can do their part and while some things are easier than others, right now is a great time to think about doing "something" to save energy around the house. For me, August and September are two months of the year where I suddenly become acutely aware of the costs involved with keeping cool since I am generally forced to have my AC running full blast to keep cool. However, there are still plenty of ways to offset that cost, so let's check them out!
- Turn off computers when not using them.
- Avoid browsing for food with the fridge door open.
- Close doors and turn off vents in rooms you aren't using.
- Pull window shades down during the hottest times of the day and when you aren't at home.
- Use an adjustable thermostat and raise the temperature when you aren't at home during the day.
- Use "smart" power strips - even turned off, your entertainment center is using significant amounts of electricity.
- Unplug your mobile phones when they are fully charged.
- Invest in Energy Star appliances and review the energy consumption ratings when making purchases.
- Replace any incandescent bulbs with LED and CFL bulbs.
- If you have the option to select energy providers, consider choosing renewable sources such as solar and wind or invest in your own solar panels for the house.
- Raise the temperature of your refrigerator from the lowest setting to something else.
- Only run your dishwasher and clothes washer when they are full.
- Set your AC to a higher temperature.
- Check your windows and doors for leaks and install additional insulation to prevent cold air from escaping.
- Change your AC filters at least once per month.
- Install shade trees and other vegetation to reduce direct sunlight from warming the outside of your home.
- Invest in regular maintenance for your Heater and AC system to ensure optimal efficiency.
- Install ceiling fans to help air circulate better.
- Use motion-sensitive bulbs outside instead of always on exterior landscape lighting.
- Use a "toaster oven" or microwave instead of your full sized oven for heating up leftovers.
- Dust the back of your fridge, including cleaning out the coils - or invest in regular service to take care of this.
- Reduce the drying time on your clothes and use a clothesline for appropriate items.
- Avoid opening the oven repeatedly to check on food being cooked - use the internal light and window except when you are ready to remove the food.
- Put a lid on any pot that's being used for cooking so that it heats faster.
- Turn off kitchen and bath fans after use.
- Head outside and grill instead of cooking inside and heating up your kitchen.
- Consider washing clothes using cold water instead of hot - it will work just as well and save a lot of hot water.
- Consider investing in a tank-less or hybrid water heater.
- Consider a laptop and docking station instead of a full-sized desktop for home use.
- Consider upgrading your Air Conditioner to something more efficient such as the Lennox® XC25. (visit their Dealer Locator to talk with a rep)
Of course, I'm sure you guys have even more ideas! Lennox® wants to hear them and reward the best ones with an awesome prize pack including $10,000 worth of AC equipment, tickets to a waterpark, and ice cream for a year.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Canada (excluding Quebec) U.S. (DC) the age of majority in their jurisdiction. Ends 8/31/2016. For Prize info and Official Rules visit: http://static.lennox.com/pdfs/legal/OfficialContestRules2016-FINAL.pdf Sponsor: Lennox. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received.