Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!
Sure you can grab some green beer and corned beef but let's celebrate differently this year with some Irish whiskey and drinks inspired by our friends from the Emerald Isle!
It really doesn't matter if your beverage of choice includes Guinness, Irish Whiskey, or even Vodka, the following are a few unique Irish cocktail recipes to help you enjoy St. Patrick's Day in style.
St. Patrick's Day Cocktails with Irish Whiskey
First up are a few delicious libations from the fine folks at Bushmill's Irish Whiskey ...
Bushmills Irish Honey Smash
1.5 oz of Bushmills Irish Honey
2-3 Mint Leaves
3/4 oz Simple Syrup
2 Pieces of Lemon
1 oz Water
Drink Recipe Preparation: Muddle the lemon, mint, water, and simple syrup in the bottom of a mixing glass. Add Bushmills, shake, and strain into a glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish w/ a sprig of mint and serve.
Honey, I'm Home
1.5 oz. Bushmills Irish Honey
1 dash Angostura Bitters
Drink Recipe Preparation: In your mixing glass, add Bushmills, bitters and ginger beer. Shake, stir and strain over ice.
Irish Old Fashioned
1.5oz Black Bush
1/2oz simple syrup
2 dashes of orange bitters
1 orange rind
Drink Recipe Preparation. in your mixing glass, add your black bush, simple syrup, orange bitters, and stir over ice for about 30 seconds.
When you're done, strain this into a fresh glass of ice, and garnish with an orange rind. Enjoy.
2 Gingers Irish Whiskey
The maker of 2 Gingers - Irishmen from Minnesota Kieran Folliard sends this cocktail over as well.
2 parts 2 GINGERS® Irish Whiskey
METHOD: Pour the 2 GINGERS® Irish Whiskey into a pint glass with ice. Top with ginger ale, followed by a wedge of a lemon and lime.
Delicious Guinness Cocktails:
The Gentleman's Mojito
1 oz. Black Bush
3 oz. Guinness Draught
3 lime wedges
3-4 mint leaves
3/4 oz. agave syrup (1:1 ratio of water to agave)
Muddle limes, mint and agave together in a shaker. Add ice and Guinness, hold cap on tight, and shake. Strain into a rocks glass with ice and garnish with a mint sprig
½ Flute Champagne
½ Flute Guinness Draught
Pour the Guinness Draught into a clean/polished champagne flute. Top up the glass with the champagne, being careful to ensure there is no overspill.
Irish Inspired Coffee and Espresso Drinks
Our friends at Illy sent over these recipes created by Master Barista Giorgio Milos to help celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
illy's Irish Coffee
Illy created this recipe 14 years ago in Italy and it has been a festive favorite served in many of their cafes. Irish coffee is made using illy espresso lightly sweetened with raw sugar, gently stirred into warm Irish whiskey, finished with lightly whipped cream and a dash of cocoa powder.
Ingredients: illy espresso, Irish whisky, granulated sugar, heavy cream, coffee beans, cocoa beans & cocoa powder
6 oz (180 cc) FREDDO GLASS
1. In a small steaming pitcher, add 1 1/2 oz (45 cc) Irish whiskey.
2. Add 2 tsp granulated sugar.
3. Heat the liqueur and sugar for a few seconds using the steam wand on the espresso machine. Pour into serving glass.
4. Prepare 2 oz (60 cc) espresso and add to serving glass. Gently stir.
5. In a small bowl or mixing cup add 2 oz (60 cc) heavy cream. Lightly whip so that it is still a liquid.
6. Starting at the edge of the glass slowly pour/float 2oz (60 cc) heavy cream on top of the coffee.
7. Garnish with two coffee beans and a dusting of cocoa powder.
Espresso Cremosa Cocktail with Irish Cream
1. Fill a cocktail shaker 1/2 full with ice.
2. Prepare 1 oz (30 cc) espresso and add to ice.
3. Add 1 1/2 oz (45 cc) vodka.
4. Add 1/2 oz (15 cc) coffee liqueur.
5. Add 1 oz (30 cc) Irish cream.
6. Shake vigorously several times in a back and forth motion.
7. Strain into a cocktail glass.
8. Starting at the edge of the glass slowly pour/float 1 oz heavy cream on top of the coffee.
Lavender Mint Latte
For a minty treat, enjoy illy espresso with warm frothy milk and hints of lavender and mint.
Ingredients: illy espresso, fresh, cold whole milk, lavender syrup, peppermint syrup
1. Prepare 2 oz or 60 cc (2 shots) espresso in a 3 oz pour pitcher.
2. Pour into serving glass.
3. Add 5 oz (150 cc) of cold whole milk, 3⁄4 oz (25 cc) lavender syrup and 2⁄3 oz (20 cc) peppermint syrup into a steaming pitcher.
4. Steam and froth.
5. Pour milk over coffee, holding back froth until glass is filled 1" (2.5 cm) from top.
6. Top with a thin layer of froth, about 1" (2.5 cm).
Optional: Garnish with a mint leaf.
Caffe Mocha with Menta Panna
illy espresso with warm chocolate milk, topped with a heavy peppermint cream.
Ingredients: illy espresso, chocolate sauce, fresh cold milk, peppermint syrup, heavy whipping cream. Optional: cocoa powder or fresh mint leaves
1. Prepare 2 oz (60 cc) espresso into a 3 oz pour pitcher
2. Mix 1 oz (30 cc) chocolate sauce and 8 oz (240 cc) fresh, cold, milk into a small steaming pitcher
3. Steam chocolate sauce and milk using the steam wand on the espresso machine.
4. Pour espresso into serving glass.
5. Fill the glass with warm chocolate milk, holding back any froth.
6. In a small bowl or mixing cup add 2/3 oz (20 cc) peppermint syrup and 3 oz (90 cc) heavy cream. Lightly whip, being sure to maintain the liquid form.
7. Starting at the edge of the glass slowly pour/float 3 oz (90 cc) heavy peppermint cream on top of the coffee.
8. Optional: Drink can be garnished with a dusting of cocoa powder or fresh mint leaves.
St Patrick's Day Inspired Vodka Cocktails
AmaZING Luck from ZING Vodka
1.5 oz. ZING Vodka
5 Cucumber Chunks (approx 1 oz. juice)
1 Basil Leaf
Splash Lime Juice
Muddle cucumber and basil. Add ingredients and shake served up.
Glass: Highball Rocks or coupe
Irish Happy Hour Favorites from TGI Fridays
Not to be left out, our friends at TGI Fridays reminded us that even though St. Patrick's Day is Monday - they have great Happy Hour Specials as well!
· 2 parts Jameson Irish Whiskey
· 1 part Tripe Sec
· 4 parts Margarita Mix
· Shake and strain over fresh ice.
· Garnish with a slated rim and fresh lime wedge
· Pour 12 oz beer into a Pilsner Glass
· Add 2 drops Green Food Coloring