Bikes, Music, and some of the best scenery in the country await guys at the upcoming Rhythm and Ride festival coming up next month in Sun Valley, Idaho. (oh yeah, and Sun Valley boasts a ton of micro-breweries too!)
The wait is almost over for the First Annual Sun Valley Rhythm & Ride: Bike and Music Festival, June 23-27, 2010 in beautiful Sun Valley, Idaho. The festival features 5 days of activities in one of the best single-track and scenic road biking environments around. The schedule includes fun family activities/races and concerts, as well as offerings for serious racers and mountain bikers.
- Ketchum Cruiser Criterium, 6-9 p.m., Forest Service Park, Ketchum. Fun Family Ride to benefit the Wood River Bike Coalition, and the Bald Mountain Rescue Fund. Bring your silly costumes, your most wrecked cruiser bike, your mountain bike -- anything goes. Lots of races, food, music and fun!
- Take a ride! With 435 miles of single track, 32 miles of multi-use paved bike path, miles of scenic road biking, and our state of the art pump parks, you really can’t go wrong..
- “Open Range” days at the Bike Ranch, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Smoky Mountain Lodge, Free. Certified coaches (“ranch hands”), use of tracks (a progressive stunt track, dueling pump tracks and a bmx course) and an outdoor bbq. Bring your bikes and helmets!
- SheepTown Fat Tire Rally, 5-10 p.m., Croy Canyon, Hailey. Registration for the Sheeptown Drags opens at 5 p.m. accompanied by the Powerhouse BBQ. Racing begins at 8 p.m.
- Take a ride! With 435 miles of single track, 32 miles of multi-use paved bike path, miles of scenic road biking, and our state of the art pump parks, you really can’t go wrong.
- “Open Range” days at the Bike Ranch, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Smoky Mountain Lodge, Free.
- Club Ride MTB Poker Ride, 10 a.m., presented by the Wood River Bike Coalition/sponsored by Club Ride Apparel. MTB riders will travel to 5 (or more) of 7 checkpoints in any order to earn their hand. All riders are due back by 4 p.m., best hand wins. Route distance will be 15-30 miles depending on the route and the number of checkpoints reached.
- Hailey pump park, all day, open riding.
- Yoga, 5 p.m., Sun Valley (location TBD). Work out those kinks with a session with the some of the valley’s top instructors.
- SheepTown Fat Tire Rally, 6 p.m., Croy Canyon/Hailey. Registration for the Hot Dog Hill Climb One Handed World TT Championship starts at 6 p.m. with racing at 7 p.m.
- Sawtooth Century Bib Bag Pickup, 3-6 p.m., Elephant’s Perch lawn, Ketchum
- Zap Mama presented by Sun Valley Center for the Arts, 7 p.m., Hop Porter Park, Hailey. A blend of world music, fusion, African, a capella, soul, hip-hop and dance music, Zap Mama draws you in and gets you on your feet.
- Sawtooth Century Ride, 8 a.m. –1/3 p.m. Get ready for 100 (or 50) miles through the Idaho Mountains. The race will start at the Elephant’s Perch in Ketchum, head north to Alturas Lake and finish at the Festival Meadows on Sun Valley Road in Sun Valley. Back by popular demand: King & Queen of the Summit, recognizing the fastest male and female riders on the 6-mile climb up the south side of Galena Summit.
- Dollar Mountain 10K Trail Run, 8 a.m. start, Dollar Mountain, Sun Valley, Presented by Sun Valley Running. $20; $25 Race Day. Euro style mountain run on Sun Valley’s Dollar Mountain. This course will test your ability to climb, descend and cruise the limited flats while seeing Dollar in a way that most are unaware of. The course is challenging and technical in places but entirely run-able. Meet at the Community School “quad”. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SheepTown Fat Tire Rally Epic MTB Ride, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Hailey. The course is a secret but greatness is guaranteed.
- Yoga, 10 a.m., Sun Valley (location TBD). For those who are not feeling competitive, a session with some of the valley’s top instructors.
- Bike Exposition, 12 p.m. – 9 p.m., Festival Meadows on Sun Valley Road. Check out the offerings from local bike shops, bike organizations, bike apparel, non-profits and refreshments.
- Scott USA Bike Demo, 2 p.m., Ketchum Pump Park. Check out the 2010 demo fleet from Scott USA.
- Music at the Sun Valley Festival Meadows, 12- 8:30 p.m. Featuring Sambada (Santa Cruz, CA) and Pimps of Joytime (New York, NY) with openers House of Quist (Seattle, WA) and Molly Venter (Austin, TX) - $20/$5 for kids 12 and under.
- Idaho Pump Track State Championships, 9 a.m.-1p.m., Ketchum Pump Park. The first annual Idaho Pump Track State Championship features timed racing with separate courses flagged for juniors and adults on Ketchum’s premier public pump track.
- Ride the Harriman Trail and lunch at Galena Lodge, 2-5 p.m., Galena Lodge
- Jazz in the Park, 6-8 p.m., Rotary Park, Ketchum, Free.
Sun Valley Mountain Bike Champion, Rebecca Rusch, who is a 3-time 24-hour Solo Mountain Bike World Champion, named Sun Valley as her top mountain bike destination. Visit www.visitsunvalley.com/ridewithrusch to enter to win a mountain biking trip to Sun Valley and a chance to ride with Rebecca.
The Sun Valley Area features over 400 miles of single-track trails with many more within a short drive. Wood River Bike Coalition President Greg Martin states it best, “We are an endurance rider’s paradise. I have lived here in the Wood River Valley since 1997 and there are still trails that I've not ridden to this day. I've ridden a lot of places and I've never seen a trail network as vast as what we have here.” For more information, www.SVRhythmandRide.com.