Planning for a road trip as part of a mancation can be a long and arduous process. There’s the deciding where to go, sorting out a hotel for the area, and a rental car should you need one.
Car rental can be one of the most important aspects of planning a road trip, especially if you are heading abroad to embark on yours. Here are a few things you should bear in mind if you’re thinking of hiring a car as part of your trip.
- Ensure you reserve the correct type of car when booking. Determine how many there are in your travelling party and how many vehicles you will need, as well as how many designated drivers you have with you.
- If you are not able to secure the car that you are after, look into a suitable replacement before your journey begins. Usually if the car hire company cannot provide you with the one you ordered, you may be provided with another that is ‘similar’ to the one you’ve ordered.
- Give the vehicle a quick check over when you receive it, to see if there’s any damage before you travel.
- Check all paperwork before you embark on your trip, and make sure that you’ve received everything that you’ve paid for – including insurance, taxes and breakdown cover.
- Check what your excess covers in the event of an accident. Also take down the details of your representative at the car rental depot and a contact number, which you should phone immediately in the event of an accident.
- Check the details of the insurance and what it covers you for, if you’re looking to go off-road during your trip, be sure to make sure you are covered.
- Check how much petrol your vehicle has at the beginning of the trip, and check with the car hire company for the return terms of the vehicle. Do you have to return it with a full tank? If so, make sure to make a note of a nearby gas station in relation to the depot.
- Check if you have breakdown cover included, if not, be sure to note down details of who to call should something go wrong with the vehicle during your trip.
- Be sure to read through the terms and conditions of your rental agreement carefully, and don’t be afraid to speak up if there’s something that you need a little more explanation about.
By ensuring that you check every detail before you travel, you can help yourself to keep yourself and your vehicle safe and get the most enjoyment out of your road trip.
Written by the car hire team at travelsupermarket