Exploring New York City is a fantastic opportunity for a father and son to bond while exploring new cultures, seeing amazing sites, learning some history, and eating some iconic foods. Here's some of the best places to explore on a Father and Son getaway in New York.
Explore New Cultures With Restaurants, Museums, and Entertainment
Virtually every culture in the world is represented here - it doesn't matter if you identify with a nation, a tribe, or even just a social group ... there's someone here from that culture. Depending on your background, this is a fantastic opportunity to have a discussion with your son about his heritage. These conversations can seem dull and boring to a kid normally ... but talking about your parent's birthplace during a visit to "Le Petit Senegal" where you can experience a taste of Somali culinary traditions suddenly makes things exciting and fun. Similarly, there are opportunities to visit ethic groceries, museums, and even theaters to make a culture thousands of miles away come to life in a way that is sure to make an impression.
You don't have to explore your own culture to make this a memorable experience though. Simply seeing meeting people and tasting food from a culture you haven't experienced before is a great way to bond and create memories together!
See Amazing Sites - Movies, Popular Culture, History, and Art
New York is one of the most dynamic cities in the world and while there are some areas that you might want to avoid depending on your son's age, there are some MUST SEE sites. New York City is pretty easy to navigate by subway, or Lyft so there are things like a visit to Ground Zero or Central Park that you can see on your own. However, if your son is into superheroes then while there are plenty of sites online with directions but it might be easier to just take a Superhero Tour of New York with a guide who can point out all the sites.
Fun Father and Son Activities To Do In NYC
Here's a list of fun activities that a father and son can enjoy on a guys' trip to New York City:
- Visit the Statue of Liberty: Take a ferry to Liberty Island and explore one of the most iconic landmarks in the city.
- Explore Central Park: Rent bikes or simply take a leisurely stroll through Central Park. You can also rent a rowboat on the Central Park Lake.
- Watch a Baseball Game: Catch a New York Yankees or New York Mets game at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field, respectively.
- Visit the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum: Explore a decommissioned aircraft carrier and see various aircraft, submarines, and space exhibits.
- Go to a Comedy Show: Enjoy some laughs together at one of the many comedy clubs in the city, such as the Comedy Cellar or Gotham Comedy Club.
- Explore the American Museum of Natural History: Discover fascinating exhibits, including dinosaur fossils, human evolution, and the universe.
- Visit the Empire State Building: Take an elevator ride to the top of this iconic skyscraper for breathtaking views of the city.
- Take a Walk on the High Line: Stroll along this elevated park built on a historic freight rail line, offering unique perspectives of the city.
- Visit the Top of the Rock Observation Deck: Head to the Rockefeller Center and ascend to the Top of the Rock for stunning panoramic views of Manhattan.
- Explore Times Square: Experience the vibrant atmosphere of Times Square with its bright lights, Broadway theaters, and lively street performers.
- Take a Ferry to Staten Island: Enjoy a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry and take in the beautiful views of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline.
- Visit the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA): Explore a world-class collection of modern and contemporary art, including works by renowned artists.
- Try Famous New York City Food: Indulge in classic New York-style pizza, bagels, hot dogs, or other iconic foods the city has to offer.
- Take a Bike Ride: Rent bikes and ride along the Hudson River Greenway or explore the bike lanes in Central Park.
- Visit the National September 11 Memorial & Museum: Pay tribute to the victims of the 9/11 attacks and learn about the events through exhibits and artifacts.
- Visit Wall Street: Explore the pumping heart of the world's financial markets.
Remember to check the availability and operating hours of attractions and plan accordingly. New York City has a wide range of activities and attractions to suit different interests, so you can tailor your itinerary based on your preferences.
Go See a Show - New York Has Great Man-Friendly Performances
A guys getaway to New York with your son wouldn't be complete without attending a show of some sort. Luckily there are performances for virtually any and every audience imaginable. For instance, School of Rock, The Lion King, and Disney's Aladdin are still on Broadway and are great for a fathers and sons of all ages. Of course, you could skip the theater entirely and hit up a comedy show or if your son is older even a burlesque show ... just don't tell mom!
Eat Some Iconic New York Foods
New York City is a culture unto itself. While there are ethnic foods from everywhere in the world - don't neglect the ones from the city itself. For instance, no visit to New York is complete without a visit to Papaya King or Lombard's Pizza (Claims to be the "America's First Pizzeria").
Our Picks For Iconic New York Foods:
This is not a list of the "best" as much as simply the most iconic but I welcome your feedback if I missed something!
- Pizza - Lombardi's
- Hot Dog and Papaya - Papaya King
- Hot Dogs - Nathan's
- Classic New York Steakhouse - Peter Luger Steak House
- Jewish Deli - Katz's Delicatessen
- Bagels - Ess-a-Bagels
Of course, you'll also find street vendors selling nuts, falafel, and egg rolls too. Some are good ... and some not so much but sometimes you've gotta take a chance!
No matter what you guys decide to do together, remember that this father and son guys getaway is a special chance for you to share an experience. Don't focus too much on teaching lessons but be open to questions and listen for opportunities to make the experience as awesome as possible for him, and you!