Angel's Envy 2020 Cask Strength Bourbon Finished in Port Barrels
Occasionally you get the chance to try a spirit so impressive that you realize just how great the industry is right now. It's not just refinement of a single style but innovation that makes the whiskey world so exciting. We got a chance to try a review sample of Angel's Envy Cask Strength 2020 - bourbon finished in port barrels. Here are our thoughts ...
As you can see from the video, Tom from BourbonBlog.com and I really enjoyed the tasting. While some high proof spirits have simply too much alcohol, the addition of the port barrels and extra aging managed to create a level of smoothness that made the high proof level less disruptive. Instead, what you find in the glass is a strong confident mature bourbon that frankly felt more comparable to a brandy or cognac in how it felt in the mouth.
Angel’s Envy 2020 Cask Strength Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished in Port Barrels
- Number of bottles being released: 17,400
- Release date: November 1, 2020
- Availability: Select retailers in all 50 U.S. states, including Angel’s Envy’s distillery in downtown Louisville
- Proof: 120.4 (60.2% ABV)
- Price: $199.99
- Tasting Notes:
- Aroma: Notes of apricot and plums, baking spices, brown sugar, vanilla, oak and leather. Bing cherry is heavy on the nose and carries through to the taste.
- Taste: Juicy Bing cherries shine through, along with notes of salted chocolate, orange peel and some cedar.
- Finish: Tannic finish that’s complemented by citrus, is not bitter or too drying and lingers at the back of the mouth.
- Serving recommendation: Neat
If you can manage to find this year's Angel's Envy Cask Strength release, DO IT! At $199 this is a fantastic value and considering you can find previous years selling for $300-$500 and even the box going for $50 on eBay, this is a must buy. If you can, pick up two bottles since you want one and it will make a fantastic whiskey gift for someone special on your list!
- Written by James Hills
- Page Views: 1244